Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Day to Remember.

I remember growing up and finding a extremely old paper in my grandparents basement. My Grandmother had said that it was the paper from the day of what once was the greatest disaster in American History. That was until September 11th 2001. She had always said she remembers exactly where she was and what she was doing when she found out that the Japaniese had attacked Pearl Harbor and would never forget it. To this day she hasn't and she is pushing 89.

I was in basic training never expecting that I would be drawn into a war were I would actually use what I was learning. I remember one of the other trainies lucky and him in tears as his father worked at the world trade center. Luckily enough his dad was on a business trip that day but it took him over 3 days to find that out.

Days such as these will go down in the annals of our history and it is said because it is not for some great invention or some beautiful peace of art, it is for death. I was an Infantry soldier and I have seen war. I saw the true ugly side of human nature and I lost friends because of it. I choose this day to remember them and those who passed. I remember those people and pray for them that were on the airplanes that crashed into New York, Washington D.C, and of coarse in a field in Penn. I ask that all of you take a moment to remember them and their sacrifices.

I have been called a hero and even nominated for medals for my actions, but I am no hero. To me those that died truely are, and with that I ask please do not take this day as a holiday, or a day to burn other religions words of god. Take it as a solom day to remember 5000+ heros. Thank you and god bless.
-alex

No comments:

Post a Comment